Sandwiches, rolls and wraps
- Use mostly wholemeal or wholegrain bread.
- Include vegetable or salad items in all sandwiches, rolls and wraps.
- Use fish canned in springwater instead of brine or oil.
- Avoid meats such as salami, pastrami, corned beef, etc.
- Use small amounts of margarine only, and avoid butter.
- Use reduced fat versions of mayonnaise, cheese and other dairy products.
- Offer mini rolls, half wraps and mini bagels.
- Provide reduced salt versions of sauces and condiments.
- Oven-bake hot foods instead of deep frying (e.g. samosas, dim sims, spring rolls).
- Look for mini or ‘party-sized’ versions of hot finger foods (e.g. pies, sausage rolls).
Cakes, muffins and slices
- When baking, replace half of the flour with wholemeal flour.
- Add bran, oats or other grains to standard recipes when possible.
- Add a fruit or vegetable to cakes and muffins.
- Reduce the amount of fat used in baking, including butter, margarine and oil.
- Serve cakes/muffins/slices in mini serves or half sizes.
Cheese, dips and fruit platters
- Include fresh or dried fruits, or vegetable sticks on cheese platters.
- Provide wholegrain crackers, and avoid flavoured cracker varieties (e.g. barbecue, salt and vinegar and cheese flavours) as these are generally high in salt.
- Offer reduced fat varieties of cheese where available.
- Offer reduced fat dips, which are vegetable or yoghurt based, such as tzatziki, beetroot, hummus etc.