Four bean soup with barley
* NUT FREE * DAIRY FREE
|Ingredients||Serves 10||Serves 15||Serves 25|
|Onion (medium), chopped||2||3||5|
|Garlic cloves, crushed||5||8||13|
|Bacon, short rasher, chopped||5||8||13|
|Celery stalks, chopped||2||3||5|
|Carrot (medium), chopped||2||3||5|
|Vegetable stock, reduced salt||1.5 litres||2 litres||3.5 litres|
|Canned four bean mix, drained and rinsed||800g||1.2kg||2kg|
|Canned diced tomatoes (no added salt)||700g||1kg||1.7kg|
|Parsley, finely chopped||¼ cup||½ cup||¾ cup|
|Wholemeal / wholegrain bread rolls (to serve)||10||15||25|
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion, garlic, bacon, celery, carrot and sauté until onion is transparent.
- Add barley, stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add four bean mix and tomatoes, and stir until combined. Cook for a further 10 minutes, or until barley is tender.
- Scatter with parsley and serve with a bread roll.
- Leave out the bacon to make this a vegetarian option.
- Frozen chopped onion and crushed garlic can be used for convenience. Replace 1 medium onion with 125g frozen onion, and 1 clove garlic with 1 heaped teaspoon of crushed garlic.
Healthy Choices category: GREEN (Best choice)
The nutritional information provided is based on the exact ingredients and method as shown. Any variation/s to the ingredients or method may alter the nutritional outcome.