Healthy fillings for sandwiches, wraps and rolls
Sandwiches, rolls and wraps are a staple feature of many cafés, kiosks and catering platters. Try these healthy filling ideas to ensure that healthy options are always on offer.
The Healthy choices: food and drink guidelines classify foods and drinks into three categories according to nutritional value:
GREEN – best choices
AMBER – choose carefully
RED – limit
- Include at least one, but preferably three, vegetable or salad fillings, such as lettuce, spinach, tomato, cucumber, capsicum, carrot, beetroot, mushroom, pineapple, red onion or alfalfa.
- Grilled vegetables add flavour and texture, but use only minimal amounts of vegetable oil (a brush or a spray) when cooking. Try zucchini, eggplant, pumpkin, mushrooms or red capsicum.
- Select wholemeal and multigrain bread, instead of white.
- Replace butter with small amounts of poly- or mono-unsaturated margarine.
- Even better, replace margarine with avocado, mustard or reduced fat ricotta, cream cheese or cottage cheese.
- Offer a variety of sandwiches, wraps and rolls on a platter.
- Provide approximately one and a half sandwiches, two half wraps or one roll per person if catering for lunch.
- Provide a variety of fillings with a focus on vegetables. Include vegetarian and non-vegetarian options.
- Take care with appearance, and try using fresh herbs to garnish the platter.
This is to be used as a guide only. Any variations to the combinations listed (including spreads and condiments) may change the classification.
For an accurate classification of food and drinks, contact us.
Try the following GREEN and AMBER combinations on your next catering platter.
(V) = vegetarian
* = aim for three vegetable or salad ingredients
- Egg with lettuce and mayonnaise (reduced fat) = GREEN
- Sliced egg, and salad* = GREEN
- Curried egg with carrot and lettuce = GREEN
- Cheddar cheese (reduced fat) with tomato = GREEN
- Cheddar cheese (reduced fat) with lettuce, cucumber, tomato, chutney = GREEN
- Cheddar cheese (reduced fat) with salad* and mayonnaise (reduced fat) = GREEN
- Falafel (baked) with tomato, cucumber, baby spinach and tzatziki (reduced fat) = GREEN
- Falafel (baked) with sun dried tomatoes, mixed lettuce, red onion, and hummus (reduced fat) = AMBER
- Grilled mixed vegetables (in minimal oil) with pesto = GREEN
- Grilled mixed vegetables (in minimal oil) with feta (reduced fat) = GREEN
Chicken or turkey
- Lean chicken breast with lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise (reduced fat) = GREEN
- Lean turkey breast with salad* = GREEN
- Tandoori flavoured lean chicken breast with cucumber, spinach and yoghurt (reduced fat) = GREEN
- Chicken schnitzel (baked) with tomato, lettuce and mayonnaise (reduced fat) = AMBER
Note: Avoid providing large serving sizes of schnitzels. Often half a fillet is adequate for one sandwich.
- Lean roast beef (visible fat trimmed) with tomato, baby spinach and horseradish = GREEN
- Lean roast beef (visible fat trimmed) with lettuce, tomato, red onion and fruit chutney = GREEN
- Lean roast beef (visible fat trimmed) with salad* and wholegrain mustard = GREEN
- Lean ham with salad* and mayonnaise (reduced fat) = AMBER
- Lean ham, tomato, lettuce and fruit chutney = AMBER
- Lean ham with cheese (reduced fat) and tomato or pineapple = AMBER
- Note: Using reduced sodium ham (<750mg per 100g) would make these GREEN.
- Tuna (in spring water) with sweet corn, capsicum, tomato, cucumber and lettuce = GREEN
- Tuna (in spring water) with tomato, lettuce and mayonnaise (reduced fat) = GREEN
- Salmon (canned) with cucumber and lettuce = GREEN
- Smoked salmon with cream cheese (reduced fat), spinach, red onion and capers = AMBER