Menu, product and recipe assessments
Get a free and instant report of the food and drinks you supply with our new online assessment tool, FoodChecker!
Use FoodChecker to assess your foods and drinks against the Victorian Government’s Healthy Choices guidelines for:
- workplaces (catering)
- hospital and health services*
- sport and recreation facilities
- tertiary institutions
* Please note: this does not apply to hospital inpatient menus or patient food services.
You can assess a full menu (such as a catering menu or retail outlet menu), or individual products and recipes.
When you use FoodChecker you will receive an instant report that you can read on screen or save as a PDF. It contains feedback on the foods and drinks you supply, and tailored recommendations for healthier changes to meet the Healthy Choices guidelines.
You can do an assessment anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected device!
"My experience has been nothing but positive with sports clubs' assessments. The reports are a game changer!"
- Health promotion professional'
You can use FoodChecker to assess the entire menu for a retail food outlet or catering, including recipes, branded products, and stand-alone items such as ‘apples’ and ‘milk’.
Your menu assessment report will include:
- a classification for every food and drink item you entered (GREEN, AMBER or RED)
- recommendations for healthier alternatives
- the overall percentage of GREEN, AMBER or RED items on your menu
- recommendations to decrease the amount of RED options and increase the amount of GREEN on your menu
- advice on promoting your healthier options
When you make changes to your menu you can reassess it online. You can also use FoodChecker to plan future menus that meet the Healthy Choices guidelines.
Having a menu assessment is an important step towards promoting healthy eating for your staff, customers and visitors. It also helps your organisation work towards the Healthy Eating benchmarks of the Achievement Program.
Before you start:
Start gathering information about the foods and drinks you want to assess.
You will need:
- a recipe for every food and drink item made on site, with exact quantities for each ingredient (eg, grams, kilograms, litres, etc).
- the name and nutrition information for all packaged and pre-made items.
You can use FoodChecker to find out if the recipes you prepare on site are rated as GREEN, AMBER or RED.
Your instant report will include the recipe’s classification, plus recommendations on how to make it healthier, such as modifying ingredients or reducing serving size.
You can enter your own recipe, or use the ‘common recipes’ feature to select from over hundreds of standard recipes, and modify it to match yours. You can also save recipes to use in future.
You can use FoodChecker to find out if the branded food and drink products you supply are classified GREEN, AMBER or RED.
Select from thousands of items already in our database, or enter the details of a new item and save it to your account.
Your report will include each product’s classification, with feedback and suggestions for a healthier choice (if relevant).
Want to assess products in a vending machine? Click here to use our online Healthy Vending Assessment tool.