The nutritional information provided is based on the exact ingredients and method as shown. Any variation/s to the ingredients or method may alter the nutritional outcome.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Steam pumpkin for 10 minutes, or until soft. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool.
- Combine flour, sugar and spices in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mash the cooled pumpkin until smooth. Add the milk and egg and mix well.
- Add the pumpkin to the flour mixture and combine gently until the mixture begins to hold together.
- Using your hands, turn the dough onto a lightly floured bench. Knead gently for 2–3 minutes or until smooth. Split dough into evenly sized scone rounds, place on a baking paper lined tray and sprinkle lightly with extra flour.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden on top and cooked through. Serve warm.
- Serve the scones warm with a small amount of margarine, ricotta or cheddar cheese (reduced fat).
Written and reviewed by dietitians and nutritionists at Nutrition Australia, with support from the Victorian Government.