Recipe adapted with permission from Nutrition Australia. The nutritional information provided is based on the exact ingredients and method as shown. Any variation/s to the ingredients or method may alter the nutritional outcome.
- Preheat grill to high.
- In a bowl, gently mash the avocado with a fork to a chunky consistency.
- Add the olive oil, lemon juice, pepper, and paprika to the mashed avocado and mix well.
- Add some of the basil (reserving some for garnish) and gently combine (optional).
- Toast bread slices under the grill for 15 to 20 seconds each side, until lightly golden.
- Place 2 slices of tomato on each piece of bread, and top with avocado.
- Serve each slice with a sprinkle of black pepper.
For variety, crumble a small amount of reduced fat feta over the top for a more intense flavour.
- This is a great addition to the canteen menu as a snack or breakfast option, as it’s easy to prepare and to eat!
- Use any leftover avocado mixture as a topping for baked potatoes or a healthy sandwich spread.
- Try different types of breads, such as toasted wholemeal, grainy, seeded, or rye toast slice breads or toasted pita pockets.
Featured recipesExplore more recipes
Written and reviewed by dietitians and nutritionists at Nutrition Australia, with support from the Victorian Government.