The nutritional information provided is based on the exact ingredients and method as shown. Any variation/s to the ingredients or method may alter the nutritional outcome.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Slice the crusts off the bread, and spread one side of each slice of bread thinly with margarine.
- Push each slice of bread into a hole in a muffin tin, spread side down.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk.
- Add the corn kernels, grated cheese and diced ham to the egg mixture.
- Spoon the egg mixture into the bread cups evenly, until all the mixture has been used.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the egg has set.
- Try replacing the ham, corn and cheese mixture for different flavour combinations, such as spinach (or roast pumpkin) and reduced fat feta, chicken (skinless) and mushrooms, baked beans and capsicum, or tuna (in spring water) and chopped onions.
- Team with a drink as an always available or select carefully snack as part of a meal deal.
- If using stale or thicker ‘toast’ sliced bread, lightly roll it with a rolling pin for better results.
- Bread cups are an easy way to provide vegetables while catering for many tastes.
- Serve these as a warm or cold tasty snack.
- Try adding fresh or dried herbs to boost the flavour.
Featured recipesExplore more recipes
Written and reviewed by dietitians and nutritionists at Nutrition Australia, with support from the Victorian Government.