The nutritional information provided is based on the exact ingredients and method as shown. Any variation/s to the ingredients or method may alter the nutritional outcome.
- Cook lentils in a saucepan of water according to packet instructions.
- Finely chop onion, carrot and celery.
- Grate zucchini.
- Drain and rinse lentils.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrot, celery and zucchini. Cook, stirring for 5 minutes until onion is tender.
- Add tomatoes, cooked lentils, tomato paste, basil and oregano.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook covered, stirring occasionally, for at least 30 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Cook pasta in boiling water, following packet instructions until tender. Drain.
- Serve pasta with sauce over the top and a sprinkle of grated cheese.
Some soy products contain a small amount of cow’s milk protein. Check the label carefully. For a gluten/wheat free option, replace pasta with gluten free pasta, rice noodles or rice (check alternatives for soy, if required).
- You can add any leftover vegetables to this recipe to help reduce food wastage.
- Use this sauce as a base for vegetarian lasagne or vegetarian shepherd’s pie.
Written and reviewed by dietitians and nutritionists at Nutrition Australia, with support from the Victorian Government.