Recipe adapted with permission from Cooking for kids with food allergy, Department of Nutrition and Food Service, Royal Children’s Hospital, Melbourne. The nutritional information provided is based on the exact ingredients and method as shown. Any variation/s to the ingredients or method may alter the nutritional outcome.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Mash bananas with a fork.
- In a large bowl, sift the flours with the sugar and cinnamon.
- Stir in the mashed banana.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk, eggs, oil and vanilla essence.
- Add the liquid to the flour mixture and fold to combine. Do not over mix.
- Spoon the mixture into a prepared loaf tin.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until cooked and brown on top.
This recipe does not account for potential contamination that may occur through manufacturing and processing. Ingredients in this recipe may still have precautionary allergen food labelling (e.g. “may contain traces of”).
When preparing this recipe, it is important to:
- double-check the label of ingredients every time you make it
- prevent any contamination during preparation, cooking and serving.
- Spread with ricotta cheese and serve with chopped fruit.
- For a milk free option, substitute the milk with an equal measure of calcium fortified soy or rice milk.
- For an egg free option, replace each egg with 1 teaspoon of egg replacer and 2 tablespoons of water.
- For a gluten/wheat free option, replace all flour with gluten free self raising flour.
Allergy friendly recipes
Written and reviewed by dietitians and nutritionists at Nutrition Australia, with support from the Victorian Government.