The nutritional information provided is based on the exact ingredients and method as shown. Any variation/s to the ingredients or method may alter the nutritional outcome.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a 1-cup capacity, non-stick muffin pan with spray oil.
- Spray one side of a filo pastry sheet lightly with oil. Fold in half, spray, and fold in half again. Cut folded pastry sheet in half, and use each half to line a muffin hole, pressing down to fit.
- Repeat with remaining pastry (spray, fold, cut, place in muffin hole).
- Divide the ham between muffin holes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk and half the eggs and season with black pepper. Pour mixture in muffin holes, dividing evenly between each hole. Make sure you leave room (1cm or more) in the top of each hole for the remaining eggs.
- Crack one egg into each muffin hole, and top with a sprinkling of grated cheese.
- Bake for 20–30 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from trays. Serve warm or cold.
- Try replacing ham with sliced tomato, spinach, or smoked salmon for a fancy variation.
Written and reviewed by dietitians and nutritionists at Nutrition Australia, with support from the Victorian Government.