The nutritional information provided is based on the exact ingredients and method as shown. Any variation/s to the ingredients or method may alter the nutritional outcome.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring regularly, for 2 to 3 minutes or until onion is slightly transparent.
- Add sweet potato, pumpkin and curry powder and cook, stirring regularly, for further 2 to 3 minutes or until vegetables are coated.
- Add stock and bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer gently for 25 minutes, or until sweet potato and pumpkin are cooked through.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Using a hand blender, blend the soup until it forms a smooth consistency and no large chunks remain.
- Return soup to heat, add milk and cook for a further 5 minutes, or until heated through.
- Transfer soup to bowls/cups, sprinkle with black pepper and serve with a bread roll.
- Regular potatoes can be used in place of sweet potatoes.
- Try serving topped with a dollop of yoghurt.
- Add 1 cup of fresh coriander, chopped, in step 5 for extra flavour.
- Frozen chopped onion and crushed garlic can be used for convenience. Replace 1 medium onion with 125g frozen onion, and 1 clove garlic with 1 heaped teaspoon of crushed garlic.
Written and reviewed by dietitians and nutritionists at Nutrition Australia, with support from the Victorian Government.