Recipe adapted with permission from Cooking for kids with food allergy, Department of Nutrition and Food Service, Royal Children’s Hospital, Melbourne. The nutritional information provided is based on the exact ingredients and method as shown. Any variation/s to the ingredients or method may alter the nutritional outcome.
- Cook rice according to packet instructions.
- Peel and finely dice onion.
- Dice carrot, celery and capsicum.
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, capsicum, chilli powder and cumin. Stir and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until vegetables soften.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add beef mince, stir and use wooden spoon to break meat into small pieces. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until mince browns slightly.
- Drain and rinse kidney beans. Add to pan with canned tomatoes and water. Stir and bring to the boil. Turn heat down and simmer for 30 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Serve with cooked rice.
This recipe does not account for potential contamination that may occur through manufacturing and processing. Ingredients in this recipe may still have precautionary allergen food labelling (e.g. “may contain traces of”).
When preparing this recipe, it is important to:
- double-check the label of ingredients every time you make it
- prevent any contamination during preparation, cooking and serving.
- As an alternative to rice, serve the meat sauce in a flour tortilla (pictured).
Allergy friendly recipes
Written and reviewed by dietitians and nutritionists at Nutrition Australia, with support from the Victorian Government.