Fruity icy poles
Choose seasonal fruits such as:
- ripe pear
- Blend or juice fruit individually and pour into separate jugs. (For example, put orange juice into one jug, watermelon into another.)
- Choose the fruit juice you want to have at the top of the icy pole and fill one third of the icy pole mould.
- Put into the freezer until juice has frozen.
- Repeat the process, but this time fill the icy pole mould to two thirds with your second fruit juice, place an icy pole stick in and freeze.
- Add the final layer of fruit juice and freeze.
- You can make the icy poles with 3 to 5 alternating layers of fruit juice, or using all different fruits.
- As a general guide, to make four icy poles, try the following: blend 3 kiwi fruits with 1 small banana, 1 large orange juiced, and blend 1½ cups of mixed berries to make 3 alternating layers.
- Once frozen, you can remove the icy poles from the moulds, wrap in cling wrap and store in a large container until needed.
- Remember, juicing your own fruit or choosing 100% fruit juice is best – commercial juices often contain added sugars.
- To increase dairy intake, alternate fruit layers with reduced fat yoghurt or mix yoghurt with banana.
Category: Select Carefully (amber)
Recipe reproduced with permission of Montmorency Primary School.