Training for schools
Learn how to provide healthy foods and drinks in your primary or secondary school, with our free training.
Training is recommended for anyone responsible for supplying foods and drinks in Victorian primary and secondary schools, including:
- canteen management, staff and volunteers
- school management
- teachers and principals
- external suppliers, such as caterers and manufacturers
You will get the essential knowledge and skills to provide healthier options in line with the Department of Education and Training’s School Canteens and Other School Food Services Policy, and promote healthy eating to children and adolescents.
You will learn:
- about the School Canteens and Other School Food Services Policy and how it applies to your school
- how to review your menu and classify foods and drinks using FoodChecker
- simple ways to make recipes and menus healthier
- healthy meal, snack and drink ideas
- how to promote healthier items to students
- dealing with challenges such allergies and costs
- getting the whole school community involved
- and more!
You can choose to complete the training online, or attend an upcoming workshop.
* Please note:
The Department of Education and Training is currently reviewing the School Canteens and Other School Food Services Policy. The updated policy is expected to come into effect from Term 1 2018.
In this training you will learn about the current policy. You will get a solid understanding of the policy and learn many simple and easy ways to make healthy changes in your school.
You can do training anywhere, anytime, with our free online option.
It takes less than one hour to finish, and you can do it at your own pace by saving your progress as you go.
There’s no formal assessment, but there are some interactive activities to check your knowledge as you go.
You will be able to download a certificate after completing a short post-training questionnaire.
This three hour workshop is run by an experienced dietitian or nutritionist from the Healthy Eating Advisory Service.
This session includes plenty of discussion time, and all materials will be provided on the day. You will also receive a certificate of completion at the end.
Training workshops are held across metropolitan and regional Victoria according to demand.
Subscribe to our mailing list to find out when new workshops are scheduled.