The nutritional information provided is based on the exact ingredients and method as shown. Any variation/s to the ingredients or method may alter the nutritional outcome.
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan according to packet instructions. Add peas 2 minutes before pasta is cooked.
- While pasta is cooking, heat oil and sauté crushed garlic.
- Add mushrooms and cook on medium heat until soft.
- Beat eggs and milk in a bowl.
- Add grated parmesan cheese.
- Drain cooked pasta and peas. Return to saucepan over heat.
- Add mushrooms and stir to combine.
- Add egg and cheese mixture and stir until egg mixture has thickened.
- Serve with salad (e.g. carrot and raisin sunshine salad or a green salad) to boost vegetable intake and to introduce colour to the meal.
- For a milk protein free option, substitute the milk with an equal measure of calcium fortified soy or rice drink and omit the cheese
- For a gluten/wheat free option, substitute pasta with gluten free pasta (check gluten free products for soy, if necessary).
- Other vegetables which are rich in vitamin C can be added to this recipe to boost iron absorption.
- You can try capsicum, cauliflower, zucchini, green beans or spinach leaves.
Written and reviewed by dietitians and nutritionists at Nutrition Australia, with support from the Victorian Government.