Hearty veggie soup
Serves: 12 cups or 4 medium bowls.
- 1 tablespoon (20ml) olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 650g butternut pumpkin, peeled and diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 leek, washed and sliced
- 3 cups (750mL) vegetable stock, salt reduced
- 3 cups (750mL) water
- 1 can (400g) brown lentils, drained and rinsed
- Crusty wholemeal bread or grainy rolls
- Heat oil in large saucepan.
- Add onion, pumpkin, carrots, potatoes and leek. Cook over a medium to high heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour in stock, water and rinsed lentils.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Serve the soup with a slice of crusty wholemeal bread or a grainy roll.
- Can be frozen. Defrost and reheat to serve warm on another day.
Category: Everyday (green)
Recipe reproduced with permission of Hurstbridge Primary School.