Training for schools
Learn how to provide healthy foods and drinks in your primary or secondary school.
Training is recommended for anyone responsible for supplying foods and drinks in Victorian primary and secondary schools, including:
- canteen management, staff and volunteers
- school management
- teachers and principals
- external suppliers, such as caterers and manufacturers
You will get the essential knowledge and skills to provide healthier options in line with the Department of Education and Training’s School Canteens and Other School Food Services Policy, and promote healthy eating to children and adolescents.
You can do online training anywhere, anytime. It takes less than one hour to finish, and you can do it at your own pace by saving your progress as you go. You will be able to download a certificate after completing a short post-training questionnaire.
You will learn:
- about the School Canteens and Other School Food Services Policy and how it applies to your school
- how to review your menu and classify foods and drinks using FoodChecker
- simple ways to make recipes and menus healthier
- healthy meal, snack and drink ideas
- how to promote healthier items to students
- dealing with challenges such time and costs
- getting the whole school community involved
- and more!
Want to organise a training workshop?
We can also deliver group training workshops online or in person. Please contact us to enquire about hosting a session.
Federation of Canteen in Schools (FOCIS)
Learn more about setting up & running your school canteen, with a new online training course from FOCIS. You'll get the essential skills and knowledge on setting up a canteen, promotion and pricing, safe food preparation, and general healthy menu planning.
The course takes 2-3 hours, which can be carried out in multiple sessions, and costs $90 plus GST.