Easy egg and ham slice
Makes 12 medium or 18 small/snack sized servings
- 2 zucchinis, grated
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 4 slices of lean ham, chopped (Or 3 rashers of bacon, fat removed, chopped. Leave the meat out altogether for a vegetarian alternative)
- 1 cup (115g) reduced fat cheese, grated
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 6 eggs, beaten
- Cracked pepper to season
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Pour into a greased slice tray and bake for 30 to 45 minutes until slightly browned on top and set in the centre.
- Cut into slices. Serve warm or cold.
- Don’t mention the veg! Naming it ‘Egg and ham slice’ rather than ‘Zucchini slice’ may make it more appealing to students.
- For variations, try replacing the ham with 1 cup of tuna, or the carrot with half a cup of canned corn.
- Serve with a salad to make into a meal for upper primary and secondary school students.
- Remove the ham to make a vegetarian version.
Category: Everyday (green)
Adapted with permission from Nutrition Australia