Get a free and instant report of the food and drinks you supply with our online assessment tool, FoodChecker!
Use FoodChecker to assess menus, vending machines, recipes and products according to the Victorian Government’s Healthy Choices guidelines for:
- workplaces (catering)
- hospital and health services*
- sport and recreation facilities
- tertiary institutions
* Please note: this does not apply to hospital inpatient menus or patient food services.
When you use FoodChecker you will receive instant feedback on screen, plus a PDF report to download and save. It contains feedback on the foods and drinks you supply, and tailored recommendations for healthier changes to meet the Healthy Choices guidelines.
You can do an assessment anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected device!
Menu and vending assessments
You can use FoodChecker to assess retail food outlet or catering menus, and vending machines.
Your PDF report will include:
- a classification for every food and drink item you entered (GREEN, AMBER or RED)
- recommendations for healthier alternatives
- the overall percentage of GREEN, AMBER or RED items in your menu or vending machine
- recommendations to decrease the amount of RED options and increase the amount of GREEN items
- advice on promoting your healthier options
When you make changes to your menu or vending machine you can reassess these online. You can also use FoodChecker to plan future menus or vending machines that meet the Healthy Choices guidelines.
Assessing your menu or vending machines is an important step towards promoting healthy eating for your staff, customers and visitors. It also helps your organisation work towards the Healthy Eating benchmarks of the Achievement Program.
Start gathering information about the foods and drinks you want to assess.
You can use our Counting Guide to help you understand exactly how to count items within your menu or vending machine.
You will need:
- a recipe for every food and drink item made on site, with approximate quantities for each ingredient (eg, grams, kilograms, litres, etc.)
- the name and nutrition information for all packaged and pre-made items ('products').
You can use FoodChecker to find out if your recipes are classified GREEN, AMBER or RED according to the Victorian Government's Healthy Choices guidelines.
Your results will include the recipe classification, plus recommendations on how to make it healthier, such as modifying ingredients.
You can enter your own recipe, or use the ‘Common recipes’ feature to select from hundreds of standard recipes that you can modify to match your own. You can also save recipes to use in future.
You can use FoodChecker to find out if the branded food and drink products you supply are classified GREEN, AMBER or RED according to the Victorian Government's Healthy Choices guidelines.
Select from thousands of items already in our database, or assess a new item by entering details from the label and save it to your account.
Your report will include each product’s classification, with feedback and suggestions for a healthier options (if relevant).
Search the database of over 3000 packaged food and drinks items, to find healthier GREEN and AMBER foods and drinks for retail outlets, catering and vending machines.
All products have been classified according to the Victorian Government’s Healthy Choices guidelines.