Priorities and simple changes
Ready to start making healthy changes to the food and drinks provided in your organisation?
The best way to start is by making simple changes which will have a big impact. Prioritise these changes and you’ll soon be on the way to healthier eating in your organisation.
The following suggestions refer to the Healthy Choices guidelines which use a traffic light system of classifying foods and drinks as:
- GREEN (best choices)
- AMBER (choose carefully)
- RED (limit)
For workplace catering, start by removing unhealthy RED choices at meetings, functions and events.
If your organisation has a vending machine, start by reducing the RED options to less than 20% and place these in the least visible positions. Also take a look at your vending machine branding and make sure it doesn’t promote any unhealthy items.
If your organisation has a retail outlet, start with changing the way that foods and drinks are promoted and marketed. This means:
- In drinks fridges, reduce the RED options to less than 20% and place these in the least visible positions.
- Put RED foods and drinks in the least visible positions in all fridges and cabinets (and place healthier options in prominent places instead!)
- Avoid upsizing or upselling RED options (such as 2-for-1 deals or supersizing)
- Avoid including RED foods and drinks in meal deals and specials
- Avoid free refills of sugary drinks
- Make sure healthier GREEN items are available during all trading hours
- Put in place some measures to reduce promotional materials with RED choices or associated brands (for example, remove soft drink sponsored straw dispensers, put chocolates and chips in baskets rather than branded boxes, put branded ice cream and drinks fridges in low traffic areas, etc.).
Contact us to find out more about prioritising and making changes. Call the Healthy Eating Advisory Service on 1300 22 52 88 or email us.