Falafel balls with tzatziki dip
* VEGETARIAN * SOY FREE * CAN BE PREPARED EARLY * CAN BE FROZEN * GLUTEN FREE
|Ingredients||6 serves (12 balls)||25 serves (50 balls)||60 serves (120 balls)|
|Chickpeas, canned, drained||1 x 400g can||5 x 400g cans||13 x 400g cans|
|Red onion, chopped||½ small||1 large||3 large|
|Coriander, ground||1 tablespoon||5 tablespoons||12 tablespoons|
|Cumin, ground||1 tablespoon||5 tablespoons||12 tablespoons|
|Garlic, crushed||2 cloves (10g)||8 cloves (40g)||18 cloves (90g)|
|Coriander, fresh, finely chopped||⅔ cup||2 ½ cups||6 cups|
|Parsley, flat leaf, fresh, finely chopped||⅓ cup||1 ¼ cups||3 cups|
|Self-raising flour||30g||120g||2 cups|
|Egg, lightly beaten||1 small||2 large||6 large|
|Lebanese cucumber, grated||1 large||5 medium||12 medium|
|Garlic, crushed||1 clove (5g)||4 cloves (20g)||10 cloves (50g)|
|Cumin, ground||½ teaspoon||2 ½ teaspoons||6 teaspoons|
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Blend chickpeas and onion in a food processor until combined. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add spices, garlic and fresh herbs and mix well. Stir in flour and egg.
- Roll small handfuls of mixture into balls. Place on a lined baking tray and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Flatten balls, and then lightly fry in a non-stick frying pan sprayed with oil. Alternatively, bake in oven until golden brown on both sides.
- To make tzatziki, combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Serve falafel balls with tzatziki dip.
Each serve provides
- ½ children’s serve of meat/alternatives* (chickpeas)
- ½ children’s serve of milk/alternatives** (yoghurt)
- For an egg free option replace each egg with 1 teaspoon of egg replacer and 2 tablespoons of water.
- For a milk protein free or lactose free option, substitute the Tzatziki dip with hummus dip.
- For a nut free option, ensure the crushed garlic does not contain any nut products (if using commercial crushed garlic).
- For a gluten/wheat free option, serve with gluten free bread or wraps and use gluten free flour (check gluten free products for soy if necessary).
If serving as a main meal, accompany with pita bread and salad.
* One children’s serve of lean meat, poultry, fish or alternatives is equal to half a serve in the Australian Dietary Guidelines.
** One children’s serve of milk, yoghurt, cheese and/or alternatives is equal to just under half a serve in the Australian Dietary Guidelines.
The nutritional information provided is based on the exact ingredients and method as shown. Any variation/s to the ingredients or method may alter the nutritional outcome.