* VEGETARIAN * EGG FREE * NUT FREE * SUITABLE TO FREEZE
|Ingredients||6 serves||25 serves||60 serves|
|Olive or canola oil||1 tablespoon||2 tablespoons||4 tablespoons|
|Onion (finely diced)||1 medium||2 medium||4 medium|
|Garlic (crushed)||1 clove (5g)||2 cloves (10g)||3 cloves (15g)|
|Pumpkin (skin and seeds removed, diced)||1kg||4kg||10kg|
|Red lentils (washed and strained)||¾ cup (120g)||500g||1.2kg|
|Reduced salt vegetable stock||1Litre||4 litres||10 litres|
|Natural yoghurt||¼ cup||1 cup||2 ½ cups|
|Wholemeal bread||6 slices||25 slices||60 slices|
- Cook onion and garlic in oil on low heat until soft.
- Add pumpkin, red lentils and stock.
- Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer until pumpkin and lentils are tender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Serve soup with a spoon of natural yoghurt and a slice of wholemeal bread.
Each serve provides
- 2 children’s serves of vegetables*
- ½ children’s serve of meat/alternatives** (lentils)
- • 1 children’s serve of grains*** (bread)
- For a milk protein free and lactose free option serve the soup without yoghurt.
- For a gluten/wheat free option, use gluten free stock and serve with gluten free bread (check for soy if necessary)
- Check stock for sources of soy.
- When choosing this recipe, ensure children receive enough meat or alternatives by offering an additional ½ a serve of meat/alternatives per child at another time during the day. Options include:
- roast beef sandwiches with 15g roast beef per child
- egg sandwiches with half an egg per child
- veggie sticks with 30g hummus dip per child
- 2 falafel balls per child.
- For a spicier version add grated ginger, ground coriander and cumin to taste at step 1.
* One children’s serve of vegetables is equal to one serve in the Australian Dietary Guidelines.
** One children’s serve of lean meat, poultry, fish or alternatives is equal to half a serve in the Australian Dietary Guidelines.
*** One children’s serve of (grain) cereal foods is equal to one serve in the Australian Dietary Guidelines.
The nutritional information provided is based on the exact ingredients and method as shown. Any variation/s to the ingredients or method may alter the nutritional outcome.