Rice milk custard (Allergy friendly)
* MILK PROTEIN FREE * EGG FREE * WHEAT/GLUTEN FREE * NUT FREE * LACTOSE FREE * SOY FREE * LOW FODMAP * MODERATE FOOD CHEMICAL * VEGETARIAN
This recipe does not account for potential contamination that may occur through manufacturing and processing. Ingredients in this recipe may still have precautionary allergen food labelling (e.g. "may contain traces of").
When preparing this recipe, it is important to:
- double-check the label of ingredients every time you make it
- prevent any contamination during preparation, cooking and serving
|Ingredients||Serves 2||Serves 6||Serves 25|
|Gluten free cornflour||1 ½ tablespoons||5 tablespoons||1 ½ cups|
|Sugar||2 teaspoons||1 ½ tablespoons||½ cup|
|Rice milk (calcium fortified)||200mL||600mL||2.5L|
|Pure vanilla essence||1 teaspoon||2 teaspoons||3 teaspoons|
- Mix cornflour and sugar together with 1–2 tablespoons of rice milk to form a smooth paste.
- Add the remaining rice milk. Stir until lumps dissolve.
- Cook in the microwave for 1–2 minutes until thickened or stir constantly in a saucepan on the stove top until thickened.
- Add vanilla essence to flavour.
Each serve provides
- 1 children’s serve of milk/alternatives (rice milk)*
* One children’s serve of milk, yoghurt, cheese and/or alternatives is equal to just under half a serve in the Australian Dietary Guidelines.
- This recipe can be used as an alternative to yoghurt for children who are allergic to cow’s milk yoghurt and soy yoghurt.
- Serve with stewed or fresh fruit.
- Soy milk can be used as an alternative to rice milk for children who are not allergic to soy protein.
- Rice flour can be used instead of cornflour if required.
- Use pure vanilla essence as imitation vanilla essence usually contains food additives.
- The thickness of the custard can be adjusted by using varying amounts of corn or rice flour.
Recipe adapted with permission from Cooking for kids with food allergy, Department of Nutrition and Food Service, Royal Children’s Hospital Melbourne
The nutritional information provided is based on the exact ingredients and method as shown. Any variation/s to the ingredients or method may alter the nutritional outcome.