Hearty vegetable soup
* NUT FREE * DAIRY FREE
|Ingredients||Serves 10||Serves 15||Serves 25|
|Onions, finely chopped||1 medium||1 ½ medium||2 ½ medium|
|Butternut pumpkin, peeled and diced||650g||1kg||1.65kg|
|Carrots, diced||2 large||3 large||5 large|
|Potatoes, diced||2 large||3 large||5 large|
|Leek, washed and thinly sliced||1||1 ½||2 ½|
|Vegetable stock (reduced salt)||750mL||1 litre||1.75 litres|
|Water||750mL||1 litre||1.75 litres|
|Brown lentils, canned, drained and rinsed||1 x 400g can||2 x 400g cans||3 x 400g cans|
|Wholegrain/wholemeal bread rolls (to serve)||10||15||25|
- Heat oil in a large saucepan.
- Add onion, pumpkin, carrots, potatoes and leek. Cook over a medium to high heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour in stock, water and lentils.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Serve the soup with a bread roll or a slice of crusty wholemeal bread.
- For variation, try adding 200g lean bacon, chopped, in step 2.
- Any combination of vegetables can be used in this recipe. Look for what’s in season, or use frozen vegetables to keep it economical.
- Frozen chopped onion and crushed garlic can be used for convenience. Replace 1 medium onion with 125g frozen chopped onion, and 1 clove garlic with 1 heaped teaspoon of crushed garlic.
Healthy Choices category: GREEN (Best choice)
Recipe reproduced with permission of Hurstbridge Primary School.
The nutritional information provided is based on the exact ingredients and method as shown. Any variation/s to the ingredients or method may alter the nutritional outcome.