Salmon soba noodle salad
* DAIRY FREE * NUT FREE
|Ingredients||10 serves||15 serves||25 serves|
|Soba noodles||2 x 270g packets||3 x 270g packets||5 x 270g packets|
|Sesame oil||2 tablespoons||3 tablespoons||5 tablespoons|
|Salmon fillets, small (80–120g each)||10||15||25|
|Red onion, finely sliced||½ medium||¾ medium||1 large|
|Carrots, grated||2 medium||3 medium||5 medium|
|Lebanese cucumbers, finely sliced||2 small||3 small||5 small|
|Red capsicums, finely sliced||2 medium||3 medium||5 medium|
|Pumpkin seeds (pepitas)||½ cup||¾ cup||1 ¼ cups|
|Balsamic vinegar||⅔ cup||1 cup||1 ⅔ cups|
|Rice wine vinegar||½ cup||¾ cup||1 ¼ cups|
|Soy sauce||¼ cup||⅓ cup||½ cup|
- Boil noodles according to packet instructions. Cover with cold water to cool and prevent further cooking and set aside.
- Heat half the sesame oil in a non-stick pan on medium heat and place the salmon fillets skin side down in the pan. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, then turn and cook for a further 2 minutes. Set aside.
- To make the salad, combine the vegetables and pumpkin seeds in a large bowl.
- To make the dressing, mix vinegars, remaining sesame oil and soy sauce in a small bowl, then pour dressing over the salad ingredients.
- Drain the noodles. Mix noodles through the salad ingredients and toss to combine, making sure the dressing is evenly dispersed.
- Serve the salad topped with chunks of salmon.
- For a vegetarian option, top with grilled tofu steaks marinated in garlic, lemon and chilli.
- Baked salmon is a lower fat option as no oil is used. Lay the fillets on a baking tray lined with grease proof paper, and cook at 200°C for approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
- Note that cooking times will vary depending on the thickness of the fish.
Healthy Choices category: GREEN (Best choice)
Recipe adapted with permission from Nutrition Australia Vic Division.
The nutritional information provided is based on the exact ingredients and method as shown. Any variation/s to the ingredients or method may alter the nutritional outcome.