Zesty mushroom soup
|Ingredients||Serves 10||Serves 15||Serves 25|
|Onion, chopped||2 medium||3 medium||5 medium|
|Garlic, crushed||5 cloves||10 cloves||15 cloves|
|Thyme, fresh, stalks removed||2 tablespoons||3 tablespoons||5 tablespoons|
|Lemon zest||2 teaspoons||1 tablespoon||1 ½ tablespoons|
|Vegetable stock, reduced salt||1 litre||1.5 litres||2.5 litres|
|Parsley, fresh, chopped||1 cup||1 ½ cups||2 ½ cups|
|Natural yoghurt, reduced fat (to serve)||250g||400g||650g|
|Black pepper||To serve||To serve||To serve|
|Wholemeal/wholegrain bread rolls (to serve)||10||15||25|
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion, garlic and thyme and cook, stirring regularly, until onion is slightly transparent.
- Add mushrooms and lemon zest and cook for a further 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Using a hand blender, blend the soup until it forms a smooth consistency and no large chunks remain.
- Stir through half the parsley.
- Serve scattered with remaining parsley, a dollop of natural yoghurt, a sprinkling of black pepper and a bread roll.
- Step 4 (blending the soup) can be omitted if you prefer a chunky consistency.
- Frozen chopped onion and crushed garlic can be used for convenience. Replace 1 medium onion with 125g frozen onion, and 1 clove garlic with 1 heaped teaspoon of crushed garlic.
Healthy Choices category: GREEN (Best choice)
Recipe reproduced with permission of Hurstbridge Primary School.