Serves: 8 large salads or 16 side salads.
- 6 pita breads, chopped into small triangles and roasted
- 1 x 400g can 4 bean mix, drained and rinsed
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 capsicum, diced
- ½ lettuce head or 120g lettuce leaves, chopped
- 1 x 400g can corn kernels, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup grated reduced fat cheese
- 1 jar (approx. 400mL) of mild tomato salsa
- 1 tablespoon natural or Greek yoghurt, to top each salad (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Place pita squares on a lined oven tray and roast for 15 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except the pita bread, and toss lightly to mix.
- Serve in bowls, sprinkled with the pita bread croutons on top and a dollop of yoghurt.
- This salad could be also served as a side salad to chicken or fish pieces to ‘green up’ the meal.
- Turn this salad into a burrito for secondary school students! Simply add a few spoonfuls of the salad to a wholemeal pita, or wrap bread and drizzle with yoghurt before wrapping it up.