a Choose carefully V Vegetarian DF Dairy free Snack
The nutritional information provided is based on the exact ingredients and method as shown. Any variation/s to the ingredients or method may alter the nutritional outcome.
- Put the flour, baking powder, spice and sugar in a large bowl and mix well.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in the beaten eggs and zest until the mixture starts forming clumps, then use your hands to bring the mixture together into a dough. Continue kneading until no floury patches remain. Note: the mixture will seem very dry at first, but keep kneading – it will come together!
- Add the fruit and nuts and knead gently until evenly distributed through the dough.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and split the dough into chunks roughly the size of two tennis balls.
- Using your hands, roll each chunk into a sausage shape roughly 2cm thick.
- Place rolls on a baking tray lined with baking paper, allowing plenty of space between each roll.
- Bake for 25–30 minutes until the dough has risen and feels firm to the touch. It should still be pale in colour.
- Remove dough from baking trays and reduce heat to 140°C.
- Using a serrated knife, cut the dough into slices approx 1cm thick, then lay them cut-side down on the baking sheets. Bake for another 15 minutes, turn over, then bake for a further 15 minutes until dry and golden.
- Turn biscuits onto a wire rack to cool completely before serving.
- You can use any combination of dried fruits and nuts in this recipe, such as cherries, cranberries and hazelnuts.
- These biscuits can be kept in an airtight container for 2–3 weeks, making them a great option for catering and retail outlets.
- Make a big batch and keep them on hand for last minute requests!
Register your interest
"*" indicates required fields