* NUT FREE * SOY FREE * VEGETARIAN
|Ingredients||12 regular muffins or 24 mini muffins||24 regular muffins or 48 mini muffins|
|White self-raising flour, sifted||1 cup (150g)||2 cups (300g)|
|Wholemeal self-raising flour, sifted||1 cup (150g)||2 cups (300g)|
|Brown sugar||¼ cup (60g)||½ cup (120g)|
|Cinnamon, ground||1 teaspoon||2 teaspoons|
|Carrots, medium, grated||3 (180g)||6 (360g)|
|Apple, medium, grated||1 (150g)||2 (300g)|
|Milk||1 cup (250mL)||2 cups (500mL)|
|Eggs, lightly beaten||2||4|
|Canola or vegetable oil||¼ cup (60mL)||½ cup (120mL)|
|Vanilla essence||1 teaspoon||2 teaspoons|
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Lightly grease muffin trays (regular or mini) or line trays with paper cases.
- Combine flours with the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Stir in grated carrot and apple.
- Combine milk, egg, oil and vanilla essence in another bowl.
- Add to flour and sugar mixture and mix until just combined. Do not over mix or they will be tough.
- Spoon mixture evenly into muffin trays or cases.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until cooked and brown on top.
Each regular sized muffin provides
- ¾ children’s serve of grains* (flour)
- For an egg free option replace each egg with 1 teaspoon of egg replacer and 2 tablespoons of water.
- For a gluten/wheat free option, replace all flour with gluten free self raising flour.
- This mixture can be baked in a loaf tin and then sliced when cooled. The cooking time will be approx 45 minutes.
* One children’s serve of (grain) cereal foods is equal to one serve in the Australian Dietary Guidelines.
Recipe reproduced with permission from Nutrition Australia.
The nutritional information provided is based on the exact ingredients and method as shown. Any variation/s to the ingredients or method may alter the nutritional outcome.