Your catering service can lead the way to providing healthier foods and drinks!
Many workplaces and other organisations are becoming more aware of how the food and drinks they provide can impact on the health and wellbeing of their staff and visitors. They are seeking ways to offer healthier choices through catering and other areas where food and drinks are provided. That’s where you come in!
As a catering provider, you can help to support these organisations and secure their business by offering healthier options through your catering menu.
As a healthy catering supplier you can:
- attract new business from health-conscious organisations
- meet the demand from organisations requiring the supply of healthier food and drinks as part of their contracts or policies
- promote yourself as a business that supports health promoting environments
- establish yourself as a leader of healthy catering within the catering industry.
Healthy Choices guidelines
The Victorian Government has developed the Healthy Choices guidelines to help make sure that healthy foods and drinks are offered and promoted in places like workplaces, hospitals and health services, sport and recreation centres, parks and universities.
The guidelines classify foods and drinks as GREEN (best choices), AMBER (choose carefully) and RED (limit). To learn more about each classification visit Traffic light system.
For a caterer, the Healthy Choices guidelines recommend that:
- at least 50% of foods and drinks you offer should be from the GREEN category
- no more than 20% of foods and drinks you offer should be from the RED category
- RED foods and drinks should not be promoted or prominently displayed
For a workplace wishing to implement healthy catering, they must only:
- purchase foods and drinks from a caterer's menu that are in the GREEN and AMBER catergories
- provide themselves, or make on site, catering that is in line with the Healthy Choices guidelines: healthy eating policy and catering guide for workplaces.
Visit the Healthy Choices section of our website for more information.
To help promote healthier food and drink options in your catering service, a range of marketing materials are available. For more information, and to see if you are eligible, visit Healthy Choices marketing material
What can you do to start providing healthier food and drinks?
You can find out how the food and drinks you offer through catering are classified under the Healthy Choices guidelines, with a free online menu assessment.
For support or more information about supplying healthier food and drinks, contact us on 1300 22 52 88 or email us.