Recipe adapted with permission from Cooking for kids with food allergy, Department of Nutrition and Food Service, Royal Children’s Hospital, Melbourne. The nutritional information provided is based on the exact ingredients and method as shown. Any variation/s to the ingredients or method may alter the nutritional outcome.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Cut each slice of bread into quarters and layer slices in a deep baking dish.
- Lightly whisk eggs in a jug.
- Add milk and sugar to jug. Whisk to combine.
- Pour mixture evenly over bread. Allow to stand for 10 minutes, for bread to absorb liquid.
- Bake in oven for 45 minutes, or until the top layer of bread is golden brown.
This recipe does not account for potential contamination that may occur through manufacturing and processing. Ingredients in this recipe may still have precautionary allergen food labelling (e.g. “may contain traces of”).
When preparing this recipe, it is important to:
- double-check the label of ingredients every time you make it
- prevent any contamination during preparation, cooking and serving.
- As an alternative to fruit bread, use leftover bread such as wholemeal or multigrain.
- For a milk protein free or lactose free option, substitute the milk with an equal measure of calcium fortified soy or rice milk.
- For a wheat/gluten free option substitute fruit bread with gluten free fruit bread.
Allergy friendly recipes
Register your interest
"*" indicates required fields