Workplaces can play a key role in helping their staff to be healthy.
More than half of Victorians are employed, so a workplace that encourages health can have a positive effect on the health and wellbeing of the community.
A healthy workplace has benefits for both employers and employees, because it contributes to:
- staff being more productive and satisfied in their work
- less stress and anxiety in the workplace
- staff being more likely to stay in their jobs
- staff having fewer ‘absent’ or sick days
- reduced worker’s compensation costs.
Healthy eating in the workplace
The most successful way to support healthy eating in the workplace is to use a whole of setting approach. This means making sure healthy choices are available everywhere where foods and drinks are supplied, including:
- catering for staff
- vending machines
- on-site food and drink retail outlets such as canteens, cafeterias, cafes, coffee shops and kiosks
- staff rooms and kitchens
- fundraising activities, gifts, prizes and give-aways.
The Victorian Government has developed the Healthy Choices: healthy eating policy and catering guide for workplaces to help workplaces practise a whole of setting approach to healthy eating.
The guidelines provide practical advice and step-by-step instructions on how to develop a healthy eating policy, as well as recommendations for healthy workplace catering.
To access the guidelines visit www.health.vic.gov.au/nutrition