Vegetarian pasta carbonara
* VEGETARIAN *CONTAINS EGGS *NUT FREE *SOY FREE
|Ingredients||6 serves||25 serves||60 serves|
|Oil||1 tablespoon||2 tablespoons||5 tablespoons|
|Garlic, crushed||2 cloves||4 cloves||10 cloves|
|Button mushrooms, finely sliced||250g||800g||2kg|
|Evaporated skim milk||125mL||2 x 375mL cans||5 x 375mL cans|
|Parmesan cheese, grated||100g||400g||1kg|
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan according to packet instructions. Add peas 2 minutes before pasta is cooked.
- While pasta is cooking, heat oil and sauté crushed garlic.
- Add mushrooms and cook on medium heat until soft.
- Beat eggs and milk in a bowl. Add grated parmesan cheese.
- Drain cooked pasta and peas. Return to saucepan over heat.
- Add mushrooms and stir to combine.
- Add egg and cheese mixture and stir until egg mixture has thickened.
- Serve with salad (e.g. carrot and raisin sunshine salad or a green salad) to boost vegetable intake and to introduce colour to the meal.
Each serve provides
- 1 children’s serve of meat alternatives* (eggs)
- 1 children’s serve of vegetables**
- 1 ½ children’s serve of grains*** (pasta)
- 1 children’s serve of milk/alternatives**** (cheese)
- A good source of vitamin C
- A source of iron (egg)
- For a milk protein free option, substitute the milk with an equal measure of calcium fortified soy or rice drink and omit the cheese
- For a gluten/wheat free option, substitute pasta with gluten free pasta (check gluten free products for soy, if necessary).
- Other vegetables which are rich in vitamin C can be added to this recipe to boost iron absorption. You can try capsicum, cauliflower, zucchini, green beans or spinach leaves.
* One children’s serve of lean meat, poultry, fish or alternatives is equal to half a serve in the Australian Dietary Guidelines.
** One children’s serve of vegetables is equal to one serve in the Australian Dietary Guidelines.
*** One children’s serve of (grain) cereal foods is equal to one serve in the Australian Dietary Guidelines.
**** One children’s serve of milk, yoghurt, cheese and/or alternatives is equal to just under half a serve in the Australian Dietary Guidelines.