Recipe adapted with permission from Long Day Care Recipe Competition – entry by EACH Child Ringwood East, 2022
The nutritional information provided is based on the exact ingredients and method as shown. Any variation/s to the ingredients or method may alter the nutritional outcome.
- Marinate chicken with curry powder, turmeric and vinegar for 30 minutes.
- In a pan on medium heat, add olive oil and sauté onion, ginger, garlic and curry leaves for 30 seconds.
- Add marinated chicken and tomato, allow to cook until tomatoes have wilted.
- Add tomato puree and water and bring to the boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add frozen vegetables and coconut milk and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Cook rice as per packet instructions, once cooked, add 1 cup coconut milk and stir.
- Serve rice with chicken curry.
This recipe does not account for potential contamination that may occur through manufacturing and processing. Ingredients in this recipe may still have precautionary allergen food labelling (e.g. “may contain traces of”).
When preparing this recipe, it is important to:
- double-check the label of ingredients every time you make it
- prevent any contamination during preparation, cooking and serving.
Each serve provides
|Meat/alternatives (chicken)||1.3 children’s serves|
|Vegetables||0.5 children’s serves|
|Grains (rice)||1 children’s serve|
- Use a salt reduced curry powder or make your own with no salt for a healthier option
- Serve with a banana leaf for a more authentic cultural experience
- For wheat free and gluten free, check label of curry powder and choose product that does not contain wheat or gluten. Or make your own curry powder using only spices, no flour.
- For a vegetarian or vegan version, swap chicken for tofu and/or legumes such as chickpeas or lentils.
- For variety, chicken can also be swapped for other meats such as fish.
- Frozen vegetables can also be swapped for other vegetables you may have on hand such as carrots, broccoli, zucchini, peas, beans, potato, sweet potato.
Allergy friendly recipes
Making sure you offer enough food from each core food…
Register your interest
"*" indicates required fields