Recipe adapted from Get Up and Grow: Cooking for Children with permission of the Australian Government.
The nutritional information provided is based on the exact ingredients and method as shown. Any variation/s to the ingredients or method may alter the nutritional outcome.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Peel and chop sweet potato into small pieces and steam for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas.
- Mash sweet potato and chickpeas with lemon juice until smooth. Place in fridge to cool for 30 minutes.
- Combine sweet potato and chickpeas with onion, breadcrumbs and egg.
- Take small handfuls of mixture and roll into balls. Flatten gently to form patties.
- Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Place patties on the lined tray.
- Spray patties lightly with olive oil spray.
- Bake in oven, turning once, for 30 minutes, or until golden.
- Serve with Turkish bread, lettuce, tomato and avocado.
- For an egg free option replace each egg with 1 teaspoon of egg replacer and 2 tablespoons of water.
- For a gluten/wheat free option replace breadcrumbs with a similar quantity of rice crumbs or cooked rice and serve with gluten free bread/wraps.
- For a soy free option use soy free bread crumbs and bread.
- For a milk protein free and lactose free option, ensure that the breadcrumbs and Turkish bread used do not contain milk products.
- When choosing this recipe, ensure children receive enough meat or alternatives by offering an additional ½ a serve of meat/alternatives per child at another time during the day. Options include:
– roast beef sandwiches with 15g roast beef per child
– egg sandwiches with half an egg per child
– veggie sticks with 30g hummus dip per child
– 2 falafel balls
Making sure you offer enough food from each core food…
Register your interest
"*" indicates required fields