Recipe reproduced with permission from the Long Day Care Recipe Competition – entry by Explorers Early Learning, Williamstown, 2022
The nutritional information provided is based on the exact ingredients and method as shown. Any variation/s to the ingredients or method may alter the nutritional outcome.
- Cook rice in rice cooker as per rice cooker instructions.
- Add oil to large pot on medium heat and brown off onion and garlic, then add all spices and herbs and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add carrots, celery, zucchini and capsicum and stir together for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add lentils and chickpeas then stir in crushed tomatoes, coconut milk and vegetable stock.
- Cover and cook for approximately 1 hour on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add spinach and stir through for approximately 30 seconds until spinach has wilted.
- Serve with basmati rice, and/or optional roti bread.
This recipe does not account for potential contamination that may occur through manufacturing and processing. Ingredients in this recipe may still have precautionary allergen food labelling (e.g. “may contain traces of”).
When preparing this recipe, it is important to:
- double-check the label of ingredients every time you make it
- prevent any contamination during preparation, cooking and serving.
Each serve provides
|Meat/alternatives (chicken)||0.5 children’s serve l|
|Vegetables||1.3 children’s serves|
|Grains (rice)||1.9 children’s serves|
- For soy free, check label of vegetable stock and roti bread and choose products that do not contain soy.
- For wheat free or gluten free, check label of vegetable stock and choose a product that does not contain soy and omit roti
- Vegetables can also be swapped for other vegetables you may have on hand such as mushrooms, pumpkin, sweet potato or other legumes such as kidney beans.
Allergy friendly recipes
Making sure you offer enough food from each core food…
Register your interest
"*" indicates required fields